The heat is tough on everyone – scorching sun and high temperatures can take their toll not only on you and your family but also your home. Here are a few ways to protect your home from the effects of summer.
- Your air conditioner is working over time during the summer so do what you can to help it out. Keep landscaping from encroaching onto your outdoor unit. Also keep inside filters clean and replaced regularly.
- Clean around windowsills to remove debris and ensure a tighter seal keeping warm air out and cool air in.
- If your area is prone to summer storms check trees for loose or dead limbs that may be thrown during high winds.
- Inspect your yard regularly for standing water and fill in as necessary to prevent mosquito habitats.
- Keep your cool inside by utilizing ceiling fans and curtains.
- Now is a good time to ensure all of your home ventilations is working properly and efficiently. Be sure to clean the fan over your range to remove grease and dust. Use a vacuum hose to clean refrigerator coils and keep it running effectively.
- Remove the lid on the outdoor dryer vent and clean out any lint to prevent fires and keep your dryer running smoothly.
- Summer heat and moisture can cause mildew to build up on the exterior of your home. Pressure wash or clean regularly to keep it at bay.
What summer maintenance tips do you have to protect your home and keep it in peak condition during those long hot days?