Finally Fall is in the air! Want to bring some of that Autumn smell inside? Smell is one of the most poignant ways to usher in the season – hence the everything Pumpkin Spice craze! But you don’t have to go down to your local coffee shop to enjoy the smells of the season. Here are a few ways to enjoy the smells of Fall right at home!
- Create a simmer pot and leave it on the stove while you’re home during the day. Fill a saucepan with water and add in some of your favorite scents. Bring it to a boil and then allow it to simmer, filling with water as needed. Some favorite fall combinations are sliced oranges, cranberries and cloves or apple peels, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Diffuse essential oils for a light and natural Fall fragrance. Popular Fall oils include cedarwood, cinnamon, ginger, sage and vanilla.
- Look for Fall scented candles or aromatic plug-ins – plentiful this time of year!
- Make your own potpourri with treasures found on an invigorating Fall nature walk! Look for pine cones, acorns or twigs and then combine with cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves.
- Create your own scented pine cones by rinsing off pine cones you find around your home and let them soak for an hour. Bake the cones on a foil-lined baking pan for 30 minutes at 200 degrees. Place the pine cones in a gallon Ziploc bag and sprinkle in 30 drops of your favorite fall essential oils. Seal the bag and shake till all the pine cones are coated. Let the pine cones sit in the bag for a week to really absorb the smell.
- Maybe the simplest way is to let the Fall air in! Open the windows to get stale air out and fresh air in. Just a few minutes can make a huge difference in how your house feels and smells!